Monday, November 28, 2005

November Morning Sky

There was a really beautiful sky this morning so I shot a few quick shots before getting in the car this morning...




... and then while driving across the South Side Bridge I did a few complete Hail Mary shots. I was able to crop out one pretty good shot of the river with a barge from one of them, as you can see.


Technically, a Hail Mary is where you hold the camera over your head and shoot blind. This is typically done in a crowd. You'll see news photographers doing this all the time. Often, the best shots will come from these. The higher angle is often a real benefit to the shot. In this case, I'll call these Hail Marys but I wasn't holding the camera up high, I was just shooting without looking because I knew there was a good photo there, but I had to concentrate on driving the car.

6 comments:

Ian said...

I do these "hail mary's" all the time. It always seems the best skies are when you're in the car, on the way to somewhere, with nothing but power lines in your view.
Are these with the f10? They are very nice!

Rick Lee said...

Yes, they are with the Fuji F10, but ironically, the camera was set on a screwy setting leftover from yesterday. I had it set on ISO 800 with the contrast and saturation turned way up. I'd rather do the contrast and saturation control later on in the computer. Those settings caused the camera to thow away some of the quality that would have been there if it had been set on my usual settings.

kenju said...

Gorgeous, as usual. Charleston has the best skies!

Leesa said...

Beautiful!

stacey abshire said...

Yeah, these are great! I noticed that sky yesterday as well. We seem to get a lot of these skys... maybe its the chemical plant "additions" to the atmosphere... :-)

Jerry Pennington said...

I had a streak of sky photos going there for a few days as well ... maybe it's the time of year, or probably just the timing of being better at this time of year while I'm driving to and from work.