Saturday, April 30, 2005

Twee Alley

I promised more Fife Street and I'm true to my word(sometimes). As I've noted before, I'm very interested in historic preservation. In the center of Charleston's downtown Victorian village district, is an old alleyway known as Fife Street.


The drug store/soda fountain that this sign advertises...

...is long gone. It's just been repainted there to preserve a bit of the old city.

As part of the Streetscape project, the city tried to change the name of it to Brawley Walkway, but I don't know anybody that calls it that. It will always be Fife Street. It looks pretty good with the restored storefronts, Victorian streetlamps, etc... but some of the businesses have let their awnings go bad...

...bleecch.

5 comments:

Rick Lee said...

Welcome... I see you are in Alabama... I have friends and relatives in Birmingham.

Rick Lee said...

Thanks for dropping bye Baird... I don't recall a bakery at the west end. Sometime after the 60s, there was a bakery at the east end, in the Scott Bros building after the drugstore / soda-fountain left. The bakery had put a crappy false front on the building, disguising the beauty of that incredible Queen Anne style Victorian.

kenju said...

I see my old friend Baird stopped in. I forwarded your post to him and a lot of WV'ians now living elsewhere, and you have been the catalyst for a bit of email back and forth about our old memories. Thanks, Rick.

oncee said...

Way to blog for positive change, Rick. I just noticed Kanawha Coin's awning has been taken down. Hopefully they will replace it soon, with one that will match the other along Fife Street.

Traci Dolan said...

How fascinating to see photos of things I see everyday in a new light. I actually recognize your car because of its distinctiveness.

And if changing the name of Charleston makes people realize that West Virginia is a separate state in the union, I'm all for it.