Sunday, May 06, 2007

Bike Blogging #1


I went for a long-ish bicycle ride out into the country today. I rode to Tornado, WV and back for a total of 38 miles. I've decided to start photoblogging these trips. I took one of my older cameras with me. I had several photos to share but I don't have time to get them all presentable so here is one. This is from Longbranch Road. The scenery is so beautiful on this little stretch of road that it's like riding in a state park... except for all the trailers and shacks of course.

BTW... if you want to see where I do my road riding, there is a map here.

UPDATE: Here are a few more photos. This is another photo of Longbranch Road. This panorama of the road and creek was stitched together from two photos. Click on the photo for a much larger version.


On Longbranch, there are two stands of bamboo. Now where the heck did that come from? The bamboo is as big around as a man's arm and about 20 feet high.


Just before the halfway point I got chased by a St. Bernard. I've been cycling for a long time and I've been chased by a lot of dogs, but this is the first time I've been chased by a dog that could've bit me on the hand if he wanted to. No photos, I was busy pedaling.

This is the halfway point at Aker's Store in Tornado, WV.


You can't tell from this photo but this road leads very steeply up to the top where the camera position is. It's a gut-busting hill.

5 comments:

kenju said...

I grew up playing in a little creek like that (So. Chas.). Just beautiful.

Grumpy Old Man said...

Did know you were a cyclist. And in hilly WVa, yet.

I already wasn't worthy, but now I am an abject worm.

And if it really looks like that, I'm definitely moving there. Of course, you don't photograph the ugly. Who is the WeeGee of WVa?

Rick Lee said...

Grumpy... that's right... thus the comment about the trailers and shacks. I thought I was being really witty with that remark but I just noticed a big fat typo in the punch line that just ruined it. I fixed it.

Lee Kraus said...

Hey Rick,

I love the photos of the ride. I have been riding for years. We should get together some time and plan a ride. Here are some pictures from a ride.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekraus/sets/72157594163611353/

We also have blog that I can't remember to keep up-to-date.

kraustour.blogspot.com

Lee

Stanton said...

Actually there are some bamboos that are native to WV. In fact, Hillbilly Savant posted an entry just today about it:

http://hillbillysavants.blogspot.com/2007/05/arundinaria-appalachiana.html