Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Gulls In Flight

Last week I posted this kinda freaky shot of a sea gull in flight. As you can see below, I shot a lot more. Why? Well... because I could. As I mentioned in this post, I recently bought this new Nikon 18-200 VR lens. VR stands for "vibration reduction". In addition to the VR technology in the lens, it also has internal focusing which makes it focus very, very quickly. My Nikon D200 camera has a setting that allows you to set the auto-focus to "continuous"... so if you keep the focus-spot trained on a moving object, it will try to keep that object in focus until you shoot. I had never owned a camera/lens combination before capable of such feats as this. The birds were flying all over the place and I could barely keep them in the frame but somehow, the camera was able to keep them in focus an awful lot of the time. What fun! I can't wait to try it out on sports and other fast moving targets.







16 comments:

Grumpy Old Man said...

I'd say nice things about the camera, but I'm sure if I had one, I wouldn't get shots like this.

Toby said...

What was that about it not being about the camera...? HAHA. Just kidding. Great shots, Rick.

Rick Lee said...

Yeah, I know... sometimes it is about the camera. The thing is, you have to work within the limits of the equipment you have. I can still take great shots with my pocket camera, just not these shots.

Desert Dust said...

Wonderful shots, and I still think it's not about the camera.

Barry Pike said...

Wow. Astonishing clarity. It is good to have great tools, but your eye remains your best tool, I think.

Paul Worthington said...

These are very impressive shots - from talent and technology.

Nestor Family said...

Amazing... cameraman with the help of the camera.

Bob Ding said...

Again, brilliant pictures Rick. I see seagulls lots of times and usually I'm dodging their mess.

Compact cameras definitely have their place, though. Who wants to lug around a camera and big lens everywhere? A pocket camera can get those shots that you would otherwise have missed.

kenju said...

Wonderful! I love the top one!

Wv Sky said...

I purchased the 18-200 VR last winter, and it's my favorite lens now, especially in dimmer light where before, only a tripod would work. Be aware there's been a couple of software upgrades for the lens depending on body

Rick Lee said...

Wow... a software upgrade for a lens! Holy smokes it really is the 21st Century. Just a few days ago I was joking that this was the first time in my life I've had to read the manual for a lens!

Rick Lee said...

Robert... I always say: Any camera you have with you is better than the one that is at home.

D. B. Light said...

It actually is about the camera. Compare this picture taken with a cheap (well..., free) HP Photosmart camera at Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

http://lightseekinglight.blogspot.com/2007/02/birds.html

Click on the lower picture to enlarge it and note how fuzzy it is compared to what Rick got with his super-duper equipment.

Maybe Rick's right -- it's not the camera -- but I lust for that lens.

Douglas von Roeder said...

I owned a D70 with the kit lens and "upgraded" to the D200 and 18-200 combination.
The pix that we're looking at here are pretty standard shots for that lens - yes, it's that good.
The D70 lets you shoot at 3 frames per second (IIRC) so you can track and object and zoom back as it approaches.
The D200 gives you 5 FPS and I've taken some impressive but simple shots of aircraft landing at the local airport (got a visit from the police but they were cool).
Nikon has done an excellent job with this lens.

bp_nmurthy said...

Right time, Amazing shots.

St. John said...

Looks like a brochure for the lens to me. Great shots.