Sunday, July 15, 2007

Giant orange mushroom...


... nearly as big as a dinner plate. It's growing out of a tree stump. Does anybody know what this is? I've never seen it before.

7 comments:

Roberta said...

I've never seen them, except on Super Mario Brothers.

kenju said...

I've seen that type, but they are usually tan or brown.

Cindy said...

I think it might be a jack-o-lantern mushroom. They're supposed to give off an eerie greenish glow in a dark room.

Rick Lee said...

Well, the skin does look like pumpkin skin. It's orange and quite glossy. Almost plastic looking.

Joe said...

It looks like it might be a form of bracket fungus.

http://www.answers.com/topic/bracket-fungus

Joe

Page D. said...

I agree with Jack-o-Lantern Mushroom. Other websites say it is poisonous and can give a serious stomach ache that lasts a few days. Don't think it would kill you... just make you wish you were dead. Good lesson, don't eat wild mushrooms!!! I learned the hard way when I was four. Kids dared me to eat a mushroom found in the woods, I survived after a dose of Ipecac Syrup and a trip to the Emergency Room.

jenetic said...

This looks like a "Hemlock Varnish Shelf" Polypore. They can grow up to a foot across.

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1301004

Yours looks nearly identical to the pic in the National Audubon Society's Guide to mushrooms. Plate 515.

Cheers,
Jen