Saturday, April 16, 2005

"Lookit Herman, flars!"

"Lookit Herman, flars!" (what's that from?-see comments)
It's spring. Am I obligated to photoblog flowers? Here's some dogwood (UPDATE:just informed it's not a dogwood... see comments) from my front yard...

I gave a talk on flower photography to a gardening conference recently. They were surprised when I said, "What's the big deal about shooting flowers? What could be easier? I mean, they're already beautiful... you just shoot them! Learning the crap about macro lenses, etc is just technicalities." But seriously, I don't shoot nature much. Everybody else does it so I'll leave it for them. Mind you, I do love Spring. I'm sick of looking at brown hills.

5 comments:

Rick Lee said...

"Lookit Herman, flars!" is the caption of a James Thurber cartoon. It's surprising how many people these days don't know who James Thurber or Walter Mitty are.

kenju said...

Dogwood blossoms have four petals, so I'm not sure those are dogwoods. Looks like a Bradford pear or other flowering fruit tree.

Rick Lee said...

Duh... I remember thinking at the time I wrote that post that I wasn't really sure that was a dogwood because the tree wasn't really shaped like a dogwood... and that I should check. I never got around to checking. I didn't plant the tree... it was there when I moved in. The tree is the kind of tree that grows kinda flat on top and spreads out wide. I don't recall it bearing any fruit... unless it's just some useless little berry. I'll check into it.

claire-obscure said...

Hmmm...what an interesting way to start off a flower photography lesson. :) I dunno if I can agree that they're easy to shoot. I've seen a lot of boring flower photos, including many of my own.

Rick Lee said...

Claire... you are correct of course, but it did get their attention. Your work is gorgeous. We all (photographers) take plenty of boring pictures. The trick is to not show people the boring ones. I'm committed to blogging at least once a day, so I'm sure that I will probably break that tenet many times.