Friday, December 02, 2005

Slough is tough

I was just perusing my Sitemeter stats and noticed that someone from the town of Slough in the UK was looking in. Slough is perhaps best-known these days as the location for the British comedy "The Office". Funny, at home we just had a big conversation about the pronunciation of Slough. Niether of us could remember exactly how it was pronounced. We remembered taking the train to Windsor and passing by Slough and when you hear the conductor say it out loud you say "whaa?" So many placenames in the UK have nonsensical pronunciations. Leicester is LESTER. Worchester is WOOSTER. Holborn is HOBUN. I never could figure out how to pronounce Marylebone. Even the natives can't be sure. The list goes on and on. By the way, Slough is tough, it rhymes with cow.

I don't have any photos of Slough to go with this post. I tried searching on the Internet for photographers in Slough... I could find some photographers but none who actually had any pictures of Slough on their site!

No comments: